The Euxinograd Palace
ПThe construction of the Euxinograd Palace started in 1882. It was designed by the Viennese architect Ruppelmeyer. In that year the Bulgarian Prince Alexander Battenberg accepted as a present from the Council of senior clergy at the Greek Bishopric the monastery Saint Dimitar with all its fields, vineyards and buildings. Later the prince expanded the estate to its present-day boundaries, some 8 km north of Varna, sprawling on 80 hectares. The palace was first named Sandrovo (after the name of its owner Alexander Battenberg – Sandro) but in 1983, at the request of Princess Maria Louisa, wife of the new Bulgarian Tsar Ferdinand, the estate was given a new name – Euxinograd which means a “hospitable town”.
The construction of the famous Euxinograd Park began in 1890. Over 200 different plant species from the Mediterranean, Asia and South America, personally selected by the Tsar grow here in amazing harmony. A deodar (a cedar from the Himalayas) as old as one hundred years is planted in a special fertile soil taken from the mouth of the Kamchia River. Next to it grow tall palm trees. Two exquisite bridges – one made of metal, the other- made of cement imitating the trunk of a felled tree, give the finishing touch to the park architecture.
Today Euxinograd is a government residence.